December 3, 2011

Better Homes and Gardens Double-Cheddar Holiday Biscuits

As I've stated before I absolutely love cheese. I have been caught many times eating almost a whole block of cheese from the fridge. The rest of my family holds the same feelings towards biscuits that I have for cheese. West Virginians take their biscuits very seriously, there is even a whole chain of biscuit fast food restaurants that have lines around the corner most mornings. It has taken me the whole eight years that my husband and I have been married for my biscuits to be considered better than just adequate. Biscuits are serious business around here. Recently, Better Homes and Gardens magazine had a recipe for Double-Cheddar Holiday Biscuits, which combined two household favorites, cheese and biscuits, and looked like the perfect accompaniment to my Thanksgiving meal.

This recipe has 10 ingredients. It takes 20 minutes of prep and 16 minutes of baking time and makes 24 biscuits. All the ingredients are basic and I had no problems finding at my local grocery store. I always use whole fat buttermilk and this recipe was no exception. I rarely use low-fat buttermilk even if a recipe calls for it, the taste seems unauthentic to me. Instead of rolling the dough out to cut the biscuits I followed the way that my mother-in-law taught me a long time back and hand patted out the dough and used the top of a plastic cup to cut. I have also used the top of measuring cups to cut out biscuits before and that works well also. I did not pierce the dough, I forgot to do the step and have never done it to my biscuits before, so I don't think the step is necessary, my biscuits rose nicely without. I followed the remainder of this recipe as written.

I must say this was one of the highlights of my Thanksgiving spread. Everyone absolutely loved these biscuits and they were the perfect accompaniment to the collard greens that I served. The two cheddar cheeses blended perfectly together and made for a rich and delicious biscuit. Most importantly these biscuits are very versatile and would work well as either a side dish or a breakfast food.

For the recipe go to Double-Cheddar Holiday Biscuits.

9 comments:

  1. I share your love for cheese and those look yummy-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @RAHKed Thanks :) Glad to find someone else who loves cheese like me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE cheddar biscuits! found your blog on Monday Morning Blog Hop, you now have a new follower.

    ~Jo~
    The Momma Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in LOVE with this recipe!! Delicious-sounding but probably not good for my waist-line. Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jo Cheddar biscuits are delicious, I agree :) Followed you back!

    @MrsHillyG I eat healthy 99 percent of the time so I can indulge the other 1 percent :) They really are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this looks very yummy. It's raining here in Virginia and I'd love to have some of these while curled up on the couch. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Laura It's been raining here too, and cold! These are very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! I will have to try them out when I can indulge! Following you back!

    www.twomomsalittletimeandakeyboard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mel. S. They really are yummy and great with a variety of dishes! Thanks for following back :)

    ReplyDelete