- 3/4 cup quinoa flour or brown rice flour (I have tried it both ways and they turn out great either way)
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup mashed banana (about 1)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I normally use non-fat Greek yogurt)
- 1 egg (or egg substitute)
- 2 Tbsp Cooking Oil (I have left this out and the taste is still great. It would also work with coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
If you have gluten intolerance make sure to buy oat bran and quinoa flour that is gluten free. There are many types of oat bran that while they don't contain actual wheat, they are processed in facilities that also process wheat and are therefore not gluten free.
These muffins are really delicious. I have experimented a lot with this recipe and used both brown rice flour and quinoa flour and they have worked well. My two boys love these muffins and haven't noticed that they don't have wheat flour. This is definitely a recipe that I will keep making.
Recipe adapted from Bob's Red Mill package.