I love to entertain. There is something about setting a great table, finding the perfect recipes to prepare, and being surrounded by great company that is part of the better things in life. In addition to the food and company finding a great complement to the meal is part of the fun. Recently I hosted a dinner centered around and complemented by Negra Modelo.
A little background on the brand. Negra Modelo is a dark style lager that is made by slow roasting caramel malts. The brewing process takes twice as long as other beers making for its distinct taste. The gold foil lined bottle is distinctive and attractive and the lager pairs beautifully with a variety of foods.
I'm a big fan of homemade comfort food. Simple dishes can be flavorful and make you feel warm and fuzzy. In order to host my meal I was sent a variety of spices from The Spice House to use in my recipes. I came up with 4 new recipes for my meal: a roasted butter-bicentennial seasoning rubbed chicken, bavarian style seasoning roasted potatoes, Italian bread, and chocolate cupcakes with Negra Modelo frosting (recipe to come later this week). The recipes are as follows.
Bavarian Seasoning Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds fingerling potatoes
- 1-2 teaspoons The Spice House bavarian style seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a bowl toss potatoes with seasoning, salt and olive oil.
- Place potatoes cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until nicely browned.
Butter-Bicentennial Rubbed Roasted Chicken
- 5-6 pound roaster chicken
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-2 teaspoons The Spice House bicentennial seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine seasning and butter in a bowl, softening butter with your fingers.
- Gently separate skin from meat on the roaster chicken.
- Rub butter mixture under the skin.
- Cook bird for 2 hours or until juices run clear and bird reaches temp.
Cheese-Italian Herb Bread
- 1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoons bread flour
- 2 tablespoons dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon The Spice House bavarian style seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Add ingredients to bread machine in order recommended by the manufacture.
- Select basic cycle.
- Let bread cool for one hour before slicing.
- If you don't have a bread machine the dough can be hand kneaded for 8 minutes.
- Place into a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled (approximately 1 hour).
- Punch down, shape into a loaf, and place in a greased loaf pan.
- Cover with plastic and let rise until doubled (approximately 1 hour).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
The Negra Modelo was a perfect accompiment to the meal. The taste was a complement to the food without being overbearing, and the seasonings made for nice flavors.
For more information go to the following links: