Disclaimer: I received this product for free from the sponsor of the Moms MeetsSM program, May Media Group LLC, who received it directly from the manufacturer. As a Moms Meet blogger, I agreed to use this product and post my opinion on my blog. My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of May Media Group LLC or the manufacturer of the product.
|Skinny Limits 3 Day Cleanse (One Days Worth)|
I grew up in Seattle during the beginnings of the juice craze. There were juice bars on as many corners as coffee shops in the neighborhood I lived in. Granted I lived in a young urban neighborhood that prided itself on being healthy and full of natural food stores and farmer's markets. I had my first taste of wheat grass juice (which I'm still not a huge fan of) before I was a teenager. In high-school my mom bought a juicer and I made fresh juice most mornings before school and the various sports activities I was involved in (swimming and dance and later marathons). I normally would also have a small amount of almonds butter or eggs and would feel great until lunch. Then I moved and went to through school and left my juicer behind. I went through a couple of years where my eating habits weren't as great as I would have liked until I got pneumonia a couple of years back. It was a quick wake up call that my potassium was low and I needed to start thinking of my health first not as a last priority (as moms I think a lot of us do this all the time-the kids come first and our needs are often an after thought). So I transformed my eating habits, more vegetables, less sugar and after finding out I have Celiac disease I gave up gluten. The changes were drastic. I felt better, more energy, less crabbiness and an overall sense of better well being. However, it's still a 95 percent of the time deal. I do my best to eat healthy, but I'm human and have the days where I forget to eat until noon or eat a gluten free brownie for breakfast.
Since I grow up around juicing, but haven't done much of it (with the exception of smoothies) for a long time I was intrigued when I was given the opportunity by Skinny Limits and Moms Meet to try a 3 Day Juice Cleanse.
So what exactly is a 3 Day Juice Cleanse? For 3 days you drink six 16oz juices. The juices are cold-pressed and contain fresh produce (nearly 50 pounds worth). The standard 3-day juice cleanse kit includes 18 bottles of juices total, in varying flavors and fruit/vegetable combinations. Skinny Limits juices are completely natural and raw, made without pasteurization or processing. Plus they are vegan and gluten-free. The retail price of a 3-day Skinny Limits juice cleanse (18, 16oz bottles) is $147.
The four juices that I tried as part of my cleanse were: Pure and Simple, Balance, Scorpion Lemonade, and Crescent Moon. You drink three Pure and Simple juices a day, one Balance, one Scorpion Lemonade and end the day with one Crescent Moon. Here is a break down and pictures of each of the juices:
|Skinny Limits Pure and Simple Raw Juice|
The Pure and Simple juice contains the following: kale, spinach, parsley, cucumber, apple, and lemon. This is the juice that you drink the most during the cleanse, three times a day.
|Skinny Limits Balance Raw Juice|
The Balance juice has the following ingredients: kale, spinach, parsley, cucumber, apple, lemon, and ginger. This juice is drank once a day in the morning.
|Skinny Limits Scorpion Lemonade|
The Scorpion Lemonade juice contains the following ingredients: lemonade: Lemons, agave nectar, cayenne, and filtered water. It is drank once a day.
|Skinny Limits Crescent Moon|
The Crescent Moon juice has the following ingredients: raw cashews, vanilla bean, cinnamon, agave nectar, coconut oil, himalayan sea salt, and filtered water. This juice is the last juice consumed in the evening.
So I know you are all wondering what my results were, here is my breakdown:
- I loved the Scorpion Lemonade juice. The combination of tart and spicy was perfect for me. I am a huge fan of spicy foods and adding lemon into the equation was delicious. This is something that I would purchase at the store (wish it was available here). It was so me!
- The Crescent Moon juice was a nice way to end the day. Since it was the highest juice in terms of fats and protein it made it easier to go to sleep with a full feeling stomach.
- If you drink the juices on a schedule of every 2-3 hours they are satisfying and each serves it's purpose at the time of the day you drink it.
- You think a lot about food during the cleanse. If you are trying to jump start a healthier eating plan or going vegan this might be a way to transition in. You definitely think a lot about your eating habits when you are only drinking juice for three days.
- I was hungry! I know that people claim that when they are on a juice cleanse they are never hungry. They must live on another planet than me. I was starving. I normally eat a lot of calories everyday. I exercise a lot during the week and snack throughout the day. Not eating made me hungry, not a little bit, but a lot.
- I had a horrible migraine the entire second day. It was bad, I was sick to my stomach and sensitive to light.
- I think I am the only person that has ever done a juice cleanse that gained weight. That's right I gained a pound and a half. Not sure how that works. I did lose it again within a week, but I was not one of those people that lost 10 pounds. I don't necessarily see this as a con, but just something to be aware of.
Overall, I thought the juices were great. My favorite was the Scorpion Lemonade. If the juice was available locally I would buy it occasionally. I have to be honest, I stopped the juice cleanse half of the way into the third day. My blood pressure dropped and my sugar crashed (I checked both at home-I have kits for both). I decided that I needed to eat in order to have both of them come back to normal levels. For the majority of people this would never be a problem, I just am always sensitive to changes in diet.
I did think a lot about food on the cleanse. Since I was thinking about food so often I was able to notice a few habits that I could work on. I have a tendency to not eat vegetables at breakfast. After the cleanse I started adding spinach to my smoothies in the morning. I feel better and I am glad that I made the change.
For more information go to the following links:
Have you ever tried a juice cleanse? Did it work for you?