I received this product for free from Smiley360 in exchange for my honest review. You can join Smiley360 here!
Growing up my mother used a ton of olive oil. She would buy the huge drums of olive oil and bake, cook, and even use it on her skin. When olive oil gained popularity my mother found it funny since she had always been an advocate of its many uses. Olive oil is a staple in my house too. I use it in dressings, for grilling, pan cooking and desserts. It has so many great uses and I love that it's heart healthy. Recently I was given the opportunity to try Pompeian Olive Oil and use it in a few recipes.
Here is a little background on the company. "After establishing a headquarters in Baltimore in 1906, Pompeian began importing olive oil in bulk, then blending and bottling it fresh daily here in the U.S., we're the only national brand olive oil producer to do so." They have a variety of products other than olive oil also including vinegars, grapeseed oil and cooking wines. I used the olive oil that I received to make a salad following one of the recipes on their site, it is as follows (printed with permission):
|Spinach Salad with Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese|
Spinach Salad with Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese
- 3 medium beets
- 3 tablespoons Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Pompeian white balsamic vinegar pomegranate infused or pompeian balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp snipped fresh chives
- 1 1/3 tsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- 2 ounce of goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup roasted pecans, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Trim beet stems, leaving 1 inch attached. Place beets on a small sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Drizzle 1 Tbsp. of water over beets and seal foil. Place foil packet on a small baking tray and roast in preheated oven for 1 hour or until beets are tender. Open packet and cool.
Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl until blended. Peel and dice beets.
Place baby spinach in a large serving bowl. Top with diced beets, crumbled goat cheese and chopped walnuts. Pour dressing over salad and toss.
The salad turned out great. The only thing I would change is to use roasted garlic instead of fresh. The fresh garlic was a little too strong. I also used pecans instead of walnuts, but that is just a personal preference.
So what did I think of the olive oil? The flavor was great in the salad dressing. I have also used it to saute and in a baked good. They all turned out great and the olive oil had a nice taste without being overpowering. I like that it is easily available in my area (trust me that can be a big thing!) and that the cost is reasonable. Now I just need to see if they make the giant drum size containers since I go through a ton of olive oil!
Here are a few links to check out:
- A $1.00 coupon for any Pompeian Olive Oil: http://bit.ly/1dKqYUK
- Like Pompeian on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/15UDkF4
- A chance to win a $200 gift card http://smiley360.com/2171180.