I have a small confession. I love TV shows. I was one of those kids growing-up in the 80's that knew every new show and could recite half the lines from my favorites. It went one step beyond that. In addition to watching the TV shows I also owned a large collection of cassettes (yes I am that old!) that the stars released. Some where great, others I really wish that I had burned (the sad thing is that I still have some of them). So every time a TV stars releases an album I wait to see what other people think of music. Recently, I was given the opportunity by the One2One Network to review the new album by Emmy Rossum titled "Sentimental Journey".
I know some of you are thinking who is Emily Rossum? If you don't recognize her you probably haven't watched her TV show Shameless. Rossum is an acclaimed actress who currently stars in the Showtime series Shameless with William H. Macy. She also stars alongside Emma Thompson and Viola Davis in the upcoming feature film Beautiful Creatures, which hits theaters on February 13th.
In addition to her acting she is also a singer. Sentimental Journey, releasing on January 29th, is a collection of classic covers that takes us through the American Songbook. Emmy's 12-song 'passion project' is an emotional musical journey, with each song representing a month in the year. "Each song needed to either lyrically or emotionally reflect the corresponding month," Emmy explained. "Some songs were obvious fits, like Summer Wind for June, and Pretty Paper for December. Others songs were less literal fits. I chose Nobody Knows You (When You're Down and Out) for September because, to me, the plaintive melody and lyric emotionally reflect the cold weather creeping in and the sense of melancholy we can get in the fall months."
Sentimental Journey Track Listing:
- “Sentimental Journey” (Les Brown, Ben Homer, Arthur Green)
- “The Object Of My Affection” (Pinky Tomlin)
- “I’m Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover “(Mort Dixon, Harry M. Woods)
- “These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)” (Eric Maschwitz, Jack Strachey)
- “(I’ll Be With You) In Apple Blossom Time” (Albert Von Tilzer, Neville Fleeson)
- “Summer Wind” (Heinz Meier, Johnny Mercer)
- “Many Tears Ago” (Winfield Scott)
- “All I Do Is Dream Of You” (Nacio Herb Brown, Arthur Freed)
- “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” (Jimmy Cox)
- “Autumn Leaves” (Joseph Kosma, Jacques Prévert)
- “Things” (Bobby Darin)
- “Pretty Paper” (Willie Nelson)
- "Keep Young and Beautiful" (Bonus Track)
Links To Buy Album:
Disclaimer: I participated in this campaign for One2One Network. I received a free copy of the CD to facilitate my review. By posting, I am eligible for incentives. All opinions stated are my own.